The Regional Conference devoted to results of the project "Contribution to the creation of a regional center for training and advanced training of specialists in the economic and financial aspects of IWRM in Central Asia" was held on 11 July 2023 in the Kok-Zhar village, Kyrgyzstan.
The conference was attended by representatives of state bodies, the water sector specialists, students, graduate students, teachers, representatives of educational centers of the Kyrgyz Republic and Central Asia, representatives of the USIAD regional project on water resources and the environment, experts of KEU and CWP-Kyrgyzstan, as well international experts. There were about 73 people.
The goals and objectives of the conference were to present and disseminate the results of the project, including training modules developed under the project and conducted pilot training courses, as well as discuss lessons learned and plans to strengthen management and water expert capacity in the Kyrgyz Republic and other countries of Central Asia.
Welcoming speeches were made by the Head of the USAID Regional Water and Environment Project Mrs. Ekaterina Strikeleva, the Deputy Director of the Water Resources Service under the Ministry of Agriculture of the Kyrgyz Republic Mr. Abdybay Dzhailoobaev, and CWP-Kyrgyzstan Coordinator Mrs. Kasiet Musabayeva.
International expert Martusevich A.P. made a presentation "Modern challenges in the economic and financial dimension of water resources management and water management systems".
Project manager Kasiet Musabayeva made a presentation “Main results, lessons of the project implementation”. She acquainted the participants with the goals, objectives and results of the project “Contribution to the creation in Central Asia of a regional center for training and advanced training of specialists in the economic and financial aspects of IWRM”.
The purpose of the project is to develop and study materials on the economic and financial aspects of water resources management and researches in Central Asia.
The project tasks include the development of training modules on the economic and financial aspects of water management, the training of potential trainers on modules during a summer school, pilot testing of training modules and their refinement based on the results of testing, as well the project's result disseminating.
According the project tasks the following project outcomes were reported:
- 9 training modules were developed and prepared for pilot testing for industry practitioners, members of basin councils, students and employees of scientific organizations in the water industry;
- Based on the results of the summer school, recommendations were developed for “fine tuning” of 9 training modules and their refinement;
- More than 45 undergraduate and graduate students took part in 5 courses.
- 80 specialists improved their skills.
- 5 training modules tested and refined.
- The tested training modules are being prepared for publication;
- Opportunities are being considered to disseminate the results of the project within the framework of the curricula of KEU and the Agrarian University, etc.
Local experts made presentations on each of the nine training modules. The invited expert Mr. Abdybay Dzhailoobaev made a presentation "Water security indicators of the Kyrgyz Republic".
The conference ended with the presentation of certificates to the participants of the training.